Thursday, June 26, 2008

Mac 'N Cheese Skillet Lasagna

Tonight was experiment dinner #1. It went well. I think. My husband likes anything. He is not picky one bit. I know that no matter how these recipes come out he will sincerely like them. Although, thankfully, he will tell me if he thinks I should have added a little more of this or a little less of that. I am glad for the constructive criticism, however seldom it is. I need him to tell me what he likes and dislikes. After all, he is my husband and he is the main reason why I cook. :)

The menu tonight was Mac & Cheese Skillet Lasagna and garlic bread. Yummm, sounds healthy, doesn't it? I make no promises as to whether or not the recipes I will be trying are healthy. Since I am getting most of them from Kraft.com, you can expect a lot of the meals to include Macaroni 'N Cheese. So if you do not like Mac 'N Cheese, then you probably won't like several of the recipes I am planning to try. I like recipes like this one.. I can recommend it to busy moms. And you know the kids will love anything with Macaroni 'N Cheese!

Here is the recipe:

1 lb. ground beef
1-1/2 cups water
1 pkg. (7-1/4 oz.) Macaroni 'N Cheese Dinner
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) vegetable oil spread or margarine
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella

Note: The original recipe on Kraft.com includes a lot of name brands. For instance, they call for Kraft Shredded Low-Moisture Mozzarella Cheese instead of regular ole' Mozzarella Cheese. I bought the cheapest kind possible. :)

Step 1: Brown meat in large skillet on medium-high heat; drain.

Step 2: Add water and Macaroni; stir. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer
7 to 8 minutes or until Macaroni is tender.

Step 3: Stir in Cheese Sauce Mix, milk, vegetable oil spread and spaghetti sauce. Reduce heat to low. Top with mozzarella cheese. Cook until cheese is melted.

I did one thing differently. Not on purpose, of course. Actually, I just realized my mistake while typing out the recipe. :) I used regular vegetable oil instead of vegetable oil spread. I'm not really sure if it made that big of a difference because the meal was still good. The next time I try it, though, I'm going to either add more spaghetti sauce or more cheese or both!

All in all it was a good meal. Quick and Easy. And my husband said he liked it - only because he won't say the word love when referring to anything other then me. ;)